Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Book Review: City of Bones

Title: City of Bones 

Author: Cassandra Clare 

SPOILER FREE description (as explained here): When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .


Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


A History of City of Bones: City of Bones was published by Margaret K. McElderry Books on March 27, 2007. City of Bones is the first in the Mortal Instruments series. It was rewarded with such honors as being a South Carolina Book Award Nominee for Young Adult Book Award (2010)ALA Teens' Top Ten (2008)Georgia Peach Honor Book Award (2009), and Abraham Lincoln Award (2010). City of Bones is becoming a movie and the trailer can be found here

On the Author, Cassandra Clare: Clare was born overseas in Iran before becoming a journalist for the Hollywood Reporter. After college, she lived in both New York and Los Angeles. While writing City of Bones in 2004, she was inspired by a Manhattan landscape. It wasn't until 2006 that she finally got serious about the story. City of Bones was her debut novel. 

Review (MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!):

City of Bones is thrilling, suspenseful, and action packed. It was one of those series that everyone kept talking about, but I just never got around to reading. When I saw the movie was coming out I knew I had to jump on the Mortal Instruments train fast, or be left behind.

Boy, am I glad I jumped on this train. Despite the fact that I was reading this book at a very busy point in my life, I was burning through it. I ate up the characters and the plot. Clary Fray is just the right mix of hero and observer. She isn't a damsel in distress, but at the same time she isn't ready to kick butt right away. I especially loved her scenes with Jace Wayland. Then again, that might be because Jace is one of my favorite characters. He is snarky, witty, acts like a total jerk sometimes, but his motivation is great. I could always pick it out.

The ending scene is great. I mean, I'll admit that at the time I was about ready to rip my book apart. Clare had this whole sexual tension between Clary and Jace for the first half of the book; they even kissed! Then we find out they're brother and sister? Really? However, once I had time to step back and take a look at the book as a whole, I knew it fit too well not to be true. I can't wait to see where Clare goes from here.

This book was edgy and fun. A great start to what I'm hoping to be a great series.

Who would I recommend it to?

Ages fourteen and up. Boys and girls (though it does have a girl protagonist). Action fans, fantasy fans, and anyone who likes a good plot twist.

Favorite quote:

"Different isn't better, Clarissa. Your mother was trying to protect you. Don't throw it back in her face." 


Are you in the Mortal Instruments fandom? Just read the book yourself? Excited for the movie? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment